Velvet Competition Results
There are 3 principle National Velvet Competitions held each year:
1. New Zealand National Velvet & Trophy Antler Competition
Classes for Elk/Wapiti velvet include three year old and Elk SupremeTM classes. There is also a class for All Comers Champion judged from the best Red and Wapiti velvet.
- In the last 12 years in the 3 year class Tikana bulls have won nine times, were 2nd three times and 3rd once.
- In the last 12 years in the Elk SupremeTM class Tikana bred bulls have won seven times.
- In the last 12 years the All Comers Champion was won by Tikana bulls three times with Kobe and Nepia.
2. The Elk and Wapiti Society Velvet Antler Competition
There are velvet classes for all age groups 2 yr, 3 yr, 4 yr, 5yr, 6yr and Open Supreme.
There is a Champion of Champions class judged from all classes.
In the 22 year history of the competition, Tikana bulls have the heaviest weight and largest beam circumference in every age group class.
In the last 12 years Tikana bulls have Champion of Champions eight times and Reserve Champion four times.
The most satisfying aspect is seeing Tikana bred bulls owned by other farmers and their progeny scattered throughout the age group results
For a full record of results click here.
3. National Rising Stars Hard Antler & Velvet Competition
A two year old elk/wapiti Velvet class has been run since 2014.
2014 winner – Tartan (sire Trilogy out of Kobe cow) 6.1kg 19.5cm beam
2015 winner – Isobar (sire Storm out of Yu Wonder cow) 7.6kg 21cm beam
2016 winner – Thor (sire Nepia out of Kobe cow) 9.7kg 22cm beam
2017 winner - Forecaster (sire Storm out of WB333 cow) 8.4kg 21cm beam
2018 second - Yotam (sire Nepia out of Kobe cow) 9.4kg 21/24cm beam
2019 winner - Devon (sire Devereux out of Storm cow) 9.9kg 21cm beam